Saturday, May 27, 2006

Inspiration...

So, while I am working on painting up the new pattern, I thought I would show you the image of the source of inspiration from my trip to Paris. These beautiful leaves were just outside Notre Dame cathedral...And were just so fresh and new....totally gorgeous! I love the blossom puff spindles above, and wanted to include a more linear illustrative quality into a print to represent this.......


So...here is the basic layout {some details missing..this is just the tracing to help with the motif spacing}...so I am in the process of making sure I don't want another layout...or what colours to do it...{still}, ahhh..indecision ;)

Speaking of inspiration...I am sure most of you have now heard of or are reading Selvedge magazine ....if you love it, do check out the the Selvedge Bookshop , a treasure-trove of textile and fashion related books...all rounded up in the one place!!.....also if you have a bit of free time, have some fun designing your own Modernist Poster {see link in the sidebar} on the Victoria and Albert Museum site...:)

I got these shoes through from Camper and I love them.....they are so, so comfy...and as I always have a problem getting comfy shoes {big feet!} I really applaud them for making size 9's {42}....yay! All in all, a good day so far...picked up work from a gallery {some sales!! :D} and now just chilling out before heading out to the supermarket later on....

Hope you are all having a fabulous weekend as well....xox

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your pattern. This morning I was just thinking I would like to learn how to design repeating patterns.

I wish Campers weren't so darned expensive - they have such great styles. I finally splurged on a pair of their boots this winter.

PS, my mom and I are dreaming up a trip to Portree.

lisa solomon said...

oh wow. the pattern. just wow.

and campers? must haves. always. i peeked in the store yesterday, but kept a tight grip on my wallet!

xoxo

shari said...

hi abigail,
i adore your new pattern and the photo of the inspiration behind it! brilliant as usual. :) i'm so glad you photographed your campers. was hoping you would! now, if only i can score a pair so cute while on vacation. off to watch a movie and then to bed. traveling tomorrow! xx, shari

Anonymous said...

really beautiful, abigail.
I love seeing the photograph and learning about the whole process-from inspiration to end product!
hope you are enjoying your weekend and your awesome new shoes-abby

Anonymous said...

i love that its all derived from nature, sooo beautiful to think of that while wearing your jewels! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, size 9 feet - me too! Love the new pattern, LJ

Anonymous said...

love the new pattern, you're absolutely right about those spindles that stick right up - so cool, such a great form! from your designs and what you write i know that you must have the same processes going on in your brain when you look at botanical forms as i (and i'm sure many of us) do - sometimes i think the part of my brain that should have been capable of doing things like maths just decided to dedicate itself instead to seeing patterns in nature :)

Cally said...

Yey, another big foot girl! I'm a 9-er too and also love Camper shooes, those ones you got are lovely.

I'm gagging to see what colours you'll use on your great new pattern, i really do love your patterns.

Huge thanks for the prvious 3robbers flickr link, that work is bloody gorgeous, I may have to do a wee blog after seeing that (been too tired to blog last few days).

paula said...

Your new pattern is really inspirational and the way you translated it from real life worked just great.
I have already created a pattern from V&A and it was fun, though I wasn't able to post it on my blog(not the technical type person).
Cheers!
Paula

paula said...

ps: oh, the selvedge magazine! I'm very curious about it...I've read about it before but cannot find it over here.

Anonymous said...

It's always comforting to read shoe reviews from a fellow 42-er (I guess a 9 is like the UK size for 11's in the US?), because it seems like most shoe companies believe that if you have large feet you don't need to wear shoes. So frustrating!! Anyway, I, too, love Camper, so I am definitely going to look up the pair you bought, especially since they come so highly recommended!

Wouldn't it be fun to start a blog of cute, comfy shoes for girls with big feet? Hmm...I should get on that!